Match Reports‎ > ‎

Centenary Agri Mid Senior Hurling Championship - Moycarkey-Borris 0-18 Holycross-Ballycahill 0-11

posted 21 May 2013, 08:27 by Unknown user
Centenary Agri Mid Senior Hurling Championship 

Morris the difference as Moycarkey-Borris advance 

By Noel Dundon for the Tipperary Star newspaper 

Moycarkey Borris 0-18 Holycross Ballycahill 1-11

Moycarkey Borris are through to the Centenary Agri Mid Tipperary Senior hurling semi-finals having brushed aside the challenge of neighbours Holycross Ballycahill in a rather pedestrian affair at Boherlahan on Sunday afternoon last.

A game which never seemed to rise to expectation, the Moycarkey Borris lads emerged with their place in the next round thanks to the excellence of Kieran Morris who was the difference between the teams. The attacker bagged 0-11 on the day – 0-4 from play – and was a constant thorn in the side of the Holycross Ballycahill men who tried a number of switches in a bid to shackle him. The worry for the victors though is that Morris is US bound for the summer and will be unavailable to them until the Autumn. 

This game featured more wides than scores – 15 wides for Holycross Ballycahill, 17 for their opponents. And, there was little enough to redeem what was a disappointing contest with Holycross Ballycahill well off the pace, apart from a brief spell early in the second half when they threatened to overturn the run of play. However, from a Moycarkey Borris viewpoint, they had hurled their opponents off the field in the first half and still only held a 0-11 to 0-5 lead. Kieran Morris had bagged 0-8 of those, the last of which was a real peach in the 27th minute after he caught a high ball and finished superbly. Moycarkey Borris had 0-4 on the board before Holycross Ballycahill registered – Morris (2) Pat Carey and Pat Molloy getting them off the mark. However, they could have goalled with their first attack had Ciaran Clohessy’s effort not been dealt with by Holycross Ballycahill keeper Thossy Lowry who managed to prevent the goal and avoid a disastrous start for his side.  The start was bad enough for them anyway and it took until the 8th minute for their first score from a free from Jamie Woods which was followed up by a Thossy Comerford free from distance in the 15th. 

Moycarkey Borris were running this show though and Pat Carey at midfield was rampant as he set up attack after attack. Indeed, it looked as though the victors had extra men all over the field and this meant that chances would emerge in the attack for them. Kieran Morris had three unanswered but an inspirational score from centre back Cathal Barrett suggested that Holycross Ballycahill might still put up a fight. Jamie Woods added another but by the interval, the Moycarkey Borris lads had registered a further three points to Holycross Ballycahill’s one to give them a decent lead – Ailbe Power grabbing their final score of the half. A six point lead was hardly flattering to the leaders at the break. They had hurled from the front and seemed much sharper than their opponents who were lack lustre and void of any great bite. But, that was about to change, temporarily so at least.

Early points from sub Liam Dwan and Thossy Comerford suggested that the Holycross Ballycahill men had brought their pistols to the gunfight for the second half, and though Pat Molloy, Morris and sub Willie Dempsey responded for Moycarkey Morris, a Donncha Duggan goal midway through the half gave great heart to the team chasing the game. Duggan’s blast came after he latched onto a long free from Comerford and fired to the net. The unfortunate aspect from his sides viewpoint though, was that they had fired eight second half wides in 11 minutes – greater accuracy and decision making, and they could have been in a far better position. 

So, with 15 to go, there were just three in it and the game there for the taking by either side. It was Moycarkey Borris who seized the initiative though and Morris, Rory O’Regan and Morris again pointed them in the direction of the winning post. To their credit, the Holycross lads didn’t give up the ghost and they finished the game with scores from Jamie Woods, Aidan Stakelum and Patrick Stakelum to leave a goal in it. But, Willie Dempsey grabbed the insurance score for Moycarkey Borris from a placed ball at the very death after Morris had departed through injury moments before.

The last semi-final spot had been decided and it was Moycarkey Borris who deservedly claimed it. However, they will be the first to admit that a much improved performance will be required if they are to make it to the final, especially as they will be without Kieran Morris to do the business up front. Apart from their erratic shooting which equated to one for each of their representatives on the field on the day (17), they were also guilty of allowing Holycross Ballycahill to keep their foot in the door – only trouble was, they were unable to push that door open. Other sides would though and Moycarkey Borris will have to be more clinical when they are in control. Apart from Man of the Match Kieran Morris who had a fine game, the winners had good performances from David Morris, Pat Carey, Pat Molloy, James Power and Rory O’Regan, while Kevin Moran also had his moments. 

Holycross Ballycahill exited the Mid championship with a whimper. A side in transition, they are currently lacking a cutting edge and with just six scores from play in the hour, they were never going to win a championship match. They were on the back foot from the off and were forced to chase the game with the result that they never got into any decent flow at all. Cathal Barrett at centre back, was their shining light while others to catch the eye were Pa Dwyer, Colm McGrath, Jamie Woods and Seanie Nally. Stephen Ryan battled hard too while Donnacha Duggan grabbed that all important goal when introduced as a sub. It’s the county championship next for them.

Moycarkey Borris: J Doran, P Dempsey, J Power, J Bourke, K Moran, D Morris, N O’Sullivan, R O’Regan 0-1, P Carey 0-1, C Clohessy, P Molloy 0-2, A Power 0-1, K Morris 0-11, P Doran, R Ryan.
Subs: W Dempsey 0-2 for C Clohessy; A Healy for P Doran. 

Holycross Ballycahill: T Lowry, P Stakelum, J Doyle, P Dwyer, C McGrath, C Barrett 0-1, S Nally, S Ryan, T Comerford 0-2, Darragh Duggan, M Doyle, T Quinlan, J Woods 0-5, A Stakelum 0-1, R Stakelum.
Subs: Donncha Duggan 1-0 for Darragh Duggan; L Dwan 0-1 for T Quinlan; Patrick Stakelum 0-1 for T Comerford. 

Referee: Johnny Ryan (Boherlahan Dualla)