Match Reports‎ > ‎

Centenary Agri Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Final - Holycross Ballycahill 1-16 Moycarkey 0-16

posted 20 Aug 2017, 16:00 by Michelle Donnelly
Moycarkey Borris Senior Hurling team and their supporters travelled to Boherlahan on Sunday last to compete against Holycross Ballycahill in the Centenary Agri Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Final. 

Moycarkey Borris had the first wide of the game and from the puckout Holycross’s Gavin Dunne registered their first score. Holycross added two further points from Byran O’Mara and Darragh Woods. Moycarkey’s Kieran Morris put Moycarkey on the scoreboard when he pointed in the seventh minute. Holycross saved Moycarkey’s Pat Ralph’s goal chance but Moycarkey did not have the same fortune when from the puckout the ball was worked down to Luke O’Mara who rattled the net for Holycross. Jack Skehan pointed in the following minute to increase the margin to seven points. Moycarkey scored three unanswered points from Phil Kelly and Kieran Morris (2) in the following eight minutes and points were traded in the nineteenth minute. In the twenty first minute, Holycross’s Liam Moloney pointed while it took Moycarkey a further four minutes for Phil Kelly to add to their scoreline. Two further pointed frees from Darragh Woods in the final minutes of the half meant Holycross had a cushion of five points going in at half time; Holycross Ballycahill 1-8 Moycarkey 0-6.

Moycarkey Borris opened the scoring in the second half with a Niall Heffernan point but for the next thirteen minutes they did not score while Holycross added four points to their scoreline. Holycross had an eight point margin and wanted to keep it but as Moycarkey were going for a score Anthony McKelvey was pulled down in the goalmouth and Moycarkey were awarded a penalty. Kieran Morris took the penalty but his shot went over the bar for a point for Moycarkey. Bryan O’Mara replied with a point but Moycarkey pushed on again and Pa Carey pointed in the forty seventh minute. This was enhanced further by two pointed frees from Kieran Morris. In the fifth minute, Anthony McKelvey’s point reduced the margin to four points. Pointed frees were traded prior to the fifty ninth minute. Try as they might Moycarkey Borris could not take the goal from the equation. In the fifty ninth minute there was Holycross point from Jack Skehan but Kieran Morris pointed two frees just before the end of normal time to bring the margin to three points. In the next two minutes of added time the teams traded points finishing at the final whistle Holycross Ballycahill 1-16 Moycarkey 0-16.

Moycarkey-Borris: Bill McCormack; Chris McCullagh, James Power, Kevin Moran; Conor Hayes, David Morris, Pat Molloy; Rory Ryan, Phil Kelly (0-3, 1 free); Niall Heffernan (0-1), Pat Carey (0-1), Tom Hayes; Kieran Morris (0-10, 9 frees), Paul Dempsey, Pat Ralph
Subs: Anthony McKelvey (0-1) for Paul Dempsey (40th minute), Mossy Bracken for Tom Hayes (51st minute) and Kieran Cummins for Pat Ralph (51st minute)