Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Intermediate Football Championship Quarter-Final - Moycarkey-Borris 5-8 Newport 1-3

posted 27 Sep 2012, 04:48 by Unknown user
County Intermediate Football Quarterfinal 2012 

Report by John Butler for the Tipperary Star newspaper

Moycarkey/Borris 5-08 Newport 1-03

Mid Division champions, Moycarkey/Borris crushed North Division representatives Newport by a impressive 17 points with an exhilarating second half performance - that produced four goals - to secure their passage into the last four of the County Intermediate Football Championship played under the lights at a windswept Clonoulty on Tuesday of last week.

Moycarkey/Borris who bridged a 24 year gap, winning the Mid Division a week earlier, played with the gale force wind in the opening half scored 1-04 and it must have given Newport, who despite failing to score during that opening thirty minutes, hope of reeling in that lead with the elements in their favour. But unlike the Upperchurch/Drombane game, Moycarkey on this occasion showed much more composure on the ball, producing a game of quick passing combined with clinical finishing, that blew the opposition a way.

Moycarkey/Borris struggled early on to gauge the gale-force wind added three points between the 6th and 8th minute with Kieran Morris opening the scoring before Anthony Healy added two free-kicks. Moycarkey did miss a number of chances especially one by Anthony Healy after quarter an hour when one-on-one with Newport keeper Bobby Carroll steered his low shot the wrong side of the post. However, that miss was quickly forgotten as the opening goal came in the 18th minute. Good work by Kieran Morris along the end-line to hold off two defenders before finding Anthony Healy who scored from the tightest of angles to make amends for that earlier miss.

Newport came close when Aidan Moloney brought a great save from Moycarkey goalie Daniel Kirby, who pushed the ball away for ‘45’, but from the set-piece by Rob Ryan failed to break their duck. With four minutes remaining in the opening half, Anthony Healy slotted over a 13 metre free to give Moycarkey a 1-04 to no score lead.

Newport’s Shane Ryan registered his side’s opening point after 35 minutes. Moycarkey responded in style by getting their second goal in the 38th minute when Michael Cussen penetrating solo-run from half-back put Anthony Healy through on goal and he fired low past Newport’s Bobby Carroll to go 2-4 to 0-1 clear. The tightly knit Moycarkey defence prevented Newport from any close range efforts and North Division side added their second point after 40 minutes through Aidan Moloney, but Michael Cussen showed neat skill slotting over a point just a minute later.

With Newport having the proverbial mountain to climb a rampant Moycarkey hit a ‘purple patch’ hitting 3-3 without reply in a scintillating five-minute spell between the 45th and 50th minutes. Firstly, Ciaran Clohessy tagged on a point, before Anthony Healy from an intercepted pass by Conor Hayes scored his third goal of the night. Moycarkey’s fourth goal came from a breaking ball in midfield by Pat Molloy that released Kieran Morris who inter-changed passes with Anthony Healy before setting up Rory Ryan for a close range tap in. Moycarkey’s fifth goal came four minutes later when a quick inter-change between Pat Carey and Conor Hayes released Anthony Healy who coolly chipped the ball over advancing goalie Bobby Carroll. Kieran Morris rounded it off with a point following a run from deep by John Kelly to go 5-8 to 0-2 clear.

Newport to their credit never gave up and got the final scores of this one-sided contest with Rob Ryan adding a point and Shane Ryan with a goal in the dying seconds. Whilst it back to the drawing board for a Newport side that still has to face Kildangan in the North Division decider, it sees Moycarkey/Borris take that step closer to the possibility of Senior Football in 2013.

Moycarkey/Borris: Daniel Kirby, Niall O’Sullivan, Paul Dempsey, Brian Moran, John Kelly, David Morris, Michael Cussen (0-1), Rory Ryan (1-1), Pat Carey, Pat Molloy, Eamon Flanagan, Conor Hayes, Kieran Morris (0-2), Ciaran Clohessy (0-1), Anthony Healy (4-3; 3 f)

Substitutes: Michael Roche for E. Flanagan (43), Mossy Bracken for R. Ryan (46), Eamon Clohessy for D. Kirby (57)

Newport: Bobby Carroll, Mark Harrington, Joe Connolly, Odhran Floyd, Eoin Shinnors, Eoin Bonfield David Hickey, Richard Shinnors, Rob Ryan (0-1), Martin Carey, Ross McGrath, Paul Ryan, Aidan Moloney (0-1), Shane Ryan (1-1), Richie Ryan

Substitute: Vinny Moloney for M. Carey (35)

Referee: Martin Doyle (Kilsheelan/Killcash)