Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Intermediate Hurling Championship - Moycarkey-Borris 2-18 Lattin Cullen Gaels 2-18

posted 7 May 2016, 14:01 by Ed Donnelly
Moycarkey-Borris 2-18 Lattin Cullen Gaels 2-18

Moycarkey-Borris and Lattin Cullen Gaels contested a County Intermediate Hurling Championship match at a damp New Inn field on Saturday evening. While it was Lattin’s first game in the competition, it was a must win game for Moycarkey-Borris following a comprehensive defeat to the other team in Group 3, Galtee Rovers.

From the throw-in, Moycarkey-Borris got off to a good start with three points from play in as many minutes from Ciaran Clohessy and John Bergin (2). This start was short lived however as Lattin Cullen Gaels scored the next five points (three from placed balls) to take the lead at the end of the first quarter. Jamie Fanning scored a point from play in the 16th minute to bring Moycarkey back in to contention and when sub Brian Moran scored a goal in the 21st minute it put the Mid side back in front. The sporting cliché that a team is most vulnerable after scoring a goal was borne out as Lattin Cullen replied with a green flag of their own moment later after Moycarkey failed to deal with a long delivery in to the danger area. Lattin Cullen would go four points up heading to the interval only for points from Ciaran Clohessy and Brian Moran (free) to leave the half-time score Lattin Cullen 1-9 Moycarkey-Borris 1-7.

Moycarkey got off to a fast start again in the second half with points from play by Jamie Fanning and Ciaran Clohessy to bring the sides level. In an exciting second half, the scores would be level on 8 different occasions as both clubs defied the conditions to serve up a good game of Championship intensity. With Tipperary Under 21 hurler Mark Russell in good form (scoring 7 points from play on the night), Lattin Cullen Gaels took the lead on three occasions over the next 10 minutes only for Moycarkey to draw level each time courtesy of Brian Moran frees.

As the game entered the final quarter, Lattin Cullen took the lead again with a point only for Moycarkey to take the lead courtesy of a goal by Brian Moran. As with Moran’s first half goal, Lattin Cullen’s response was immediate as they scored a goal from the next phase of play to retake the lead. For the next 10 minutes, Lattin Cullen extended their lead to two points on three occasions but Moycarkey replied each time to keep in touch. In the final stages, Moycarkey hit a purple patch, scoring 3 quick-fire points from play courtesy of James O’Gorman, Brian Moran and Kieran Cummins to bring the sides level heading in to stoppage time. With a draw looking a likely result, Moycarkey won a free which Brian Moran converted to give his side the lead. From the resultant puck-out, Lattin Cullen won possession and earned a free which they duly pointed with the last puck of the game to secure a share of the spoils.

Moycarkey are likely now to be engaged in a relegation playoff with attention turning to the Mid Championship in the meantime.

Moycarkey-Borris team and scorers - Eamon Clohessy; Mikie Bergin, Aidan Maher, Micheal Cussen; Kieran Cummins (0-1), Joe O’Sullivan, Eric Fanning; Mattie Ryan, James O’Gorman (0-1); Mossy Bracken, Ciaran Clohessy (0-3), Jamie Fanning (0-3); John Bergin (0-2), Robert Doran, Tony Flanagan
Sub: Brian Moran 2-8 (0-7 frees) for John Bergin (injured, 18m)