Match Reports‎ > ‎

County Senior Hurling Championship Round 1 - Burgess 1-14 Moycarkey-Borris 0-10

posted 6 Jul 2012, 03:51 by Unknown user
Lack Of Scoring Power Costs Moycarkey

By Brian McDonnell at the Ragg from the Tipperary Star newspaper

County Senior Hurling Championship

Burgess 1-14 Moycarkey-Borris 0-10

Burgess enjoyed a reasonably comfortable victory over Moycarkey-Borris on Saturday.  Moycarkey-Borris’ commitment to the cause was beyond reproach, but the Mid men just could not muster the scores to really threaten Burgess. The Moycarkey-Borris starting forwards, for example, could only manage a single point from play while Burgess’ starting six fired 1-10 in all.

Rory Ryan gave Moycarkey-Borris an initial lead, but Burgess, thanks to two Stephen Murray frees, led 0-2 to 0-1 by the fourth minute. Kieran Morris and Stephen Murray then traded frees before points from Eoin Hogan and Stephen Murray left three between them (0-5 to 0-2) with 13 minutes played. A brilliant Kieran Morris point from miles out closed the gap to two points in the 14th minute, but Burgess tacked on further scores thanks to Eoin Hogan and Eoin ‘Tossy’ Hogan.  And, in the 32nd minute a Kieran Morris free left just three between them - 0-4 to 0-7.

In the 23rd minute John Kelly did well to save a rasping Stephen Murray effort, but Moycarkey-Borris conceded a vital goal in the 34th when Kelly and full-back James Power failed to deal with Shane Maher’s long-range free and Stephen Murray was on hand to flick home a crucial goal.  At half-time Burgess led 1-7 to 0-4.

A Kieran Morris point a minute into the second half reduced the margin to five points (0-5 to 1-7), but despite playing into the breeze Burgess still appeared the more composed outfit with points from Jonathan Ryan and Brian Hogan opening a seven-point gap by the 35th minute.

The Moycarkey-Borris forwards managed their first (and only) point from play thanks to a Ciarán Clohessy effort in the 36th minute and although Pat Ralph then added a free you never sensed that Moycarkey-Borris could really trouble the Burgess lads.

Just to be sure of it Burgess added points through Eoin Hogan and a superb Noel Gleeson effort following fine work from Johnny Mulqueen to lead 1-11 to 0-7 with a quarter of an hour to play. If Moycarkey-Borris were to make a stand they enjoyed a wonderful opportunity to do so in the 47th minute when John O’Dwyer fouled Phil Kelly for a well-warranted penalty. Kelly took responsibility for the penalty himself, but the ball refused to come up properly and the second half substitute had to content himself with just a point.

Points from Pat Ralph (free) and Kieran Morris closed the gap to just four points (0-10 to 1-11) by the 56th minute, but those efforts also marked the conclusion of Moycarkey-Borris’ contribution to the scoreboard.
Burgess, meanwhile, surged toward the final whistle with an impressive Noel Gleeson surge setting up Eoin Hogan for his fourth point from play.  Then, in second half injury time, points from Noel Gleeson and Jonathan Ryan closed out this disappointing contest. Kieran Morris did enjoy a smell of goal in the 61st minute, but the Tipperary intermediate star flicked Niall O’Sullivan’s clever pass narrowly wide.

Burgess: Paddy Looby, Peter Gill, Shane Maher, John O’Dwyer, Johnny Mulqueen, Donagh Maher, Mike Flaherty, Eoin Hogan (0-1), Timmy Hogan, Stephen Murray (1-4, 0-3 frees), Noel Gleeson (0-2), Tony Scroope, Eoin Hogan (0-4), Brian Hogan (0-1), Jonathan Ryan (0-2).
Subs: (46th) Danny Ryan for Brian Hogan, (51st) John O’Brien for Tony Scroope, (57th) Willie Ryan for Timmy Hogan.

Moycarkey-Borris: John Kelly, Niall O’Sullivan, James Power, Kevin Moran, Paul Dempsey, David Morris, Ailbe Power, Rory Ryan (0-2), Kieran Morris (0-4, 0-2 frees), Patrick Carey, Ciarán Clohessy (0-1), Brian Moran, Anthony Healy, David Sheppard, John Bergin.
Subs: (HT) Pat Ralph (0-2, 0-2 frees) for Brian Moran, (37th) Phil Kelly (0-1, 0-1 penalty), (37th) Mossy Bracken for Paul Dempsey, (45th) James Bourke for Kevin Moran, (56) Robert Doran for Kevin Moran.

Referee: Ger Fitzpatrick (Roscrea)