Match Reports‎ > ‎

Gleeson Quarries Mid Senior Football Championship Semi-Final Replay - Loughmore-Castleiney 2-13 Moycarkey-Borris 1-7

posted 23 May 2013, 09:48 by Unknown user
Gleeson Quarries Mid SFC semi-final replay 

Loughmore-Castleiney 2-13 Moycarkey-Borris 1-7

By Michael Dundon for the Tipperary Star newspaper

Loughmore-Castsleiney do not “do” second chances! Having come agonisingly close to victory over the holders in the Gleeson Quarries Mid senior football semi-final a few weeks back, Moycarkey-Borris were cruelly exposed by a very slick and fully focused Loughmore-Castleiney in the replay at The Ragg on Wednesday evening last.

Last year’s intermediate champions have adjusted well to the higher level of football this year, recently taking JK Brackens scalp in the county series, but if they had misgivings about “missing the bus” in the drawn game, they were ruthlessly exploited within eight minutes of the start of the replay.

In the seventh minute Liam Treacy had the ball in the Moycarkey net after good work by Noel McGrath and David Kennedy. A minute later Evan Sweeney shot a second Loughmore goal, having been favoured by the bounce of the ball in the goal area. Loughmore-Castleiney were 2-3 up, Sweeney, Cian Hennessy and John McGrath, from a free, having also pointed.

Game over. It may be some consolation to Moycarkey-Borris that they subsequently matched scores with Loughmore-Castleiney but the reality is that the damage was done. Loughmore were never going to let such an advantage slip, and they didn’t, but Moycarkey will draw some encouragement from their very worthy effort during the remainder of the game.

Moycarkey got a boost in the 9th minute when Paidi Doran netted after a Pa Carey shot fell to him, but it did not stem the Loughmore tide, and with Noel McGrath and Liam Treacy dominating at midfield, and John McGrath, Aidan McGrath and Cian Hennessy lively in attack, the champions went on to lead 2-10 to 1-3 at the interval.

The second half was a formality but with the breeze now in their favour, Moycarkey-Borris carried the fight to their opponents. Twice they came close to goaling through David Morris and Anthony Healy, and Rory Ryan’s fisted effort on a high dropping ball was not far off the mark either. Still, after 24 minutes of the second half all they had to show for their efforts were points by Kieran Morris and Rory Ryan.

Loughmore had failed to score in this time but Shane Hennessy pointed in the 54th minute, with David Kennedy adding another a minute later. Anthony Healy, who had scored all Moycarkey’s first half points, pointed a free in the 56th minute. In the closing minutes Noel McGrath and Ciaran Clohessy exchanged points, leaving Loughmore comfortably through to the final against JK Brackens.

Loughmore-Castleiney started without the injured Liam McGrath and John Meagher and had Lorcan Egan and Joe Hennessy exam-tied. They lost Willie Eviston at half-time but had the strength-in-depth to cope with such adversity. They were really never in any danger in this encounter, and in the process played bright, attacking football. Noel McGrath and Liam Treacy “called the shots” at midfield with John McGrath, Aidan McGrath, Cian Hennessy, David Kennedy and Derek Bourke also having solid games.

Moycarkey-Borris must now concentrate on their county campaign to extend their championship year. They were without Phil Kelly, on holidays, and exam-tied James Bourke and Conor Hayes, and they carried a number of injuries from their senior hurling quarter final into this game which did not help their cause. Despite this setback they have reason to be optimistic with Niall O Sullivan, Michael Cussen, Pat Carey, Kieran Morris, Rory O Regan and Anthony Healy showing up well.

Loughmore-Castleiney – David McGrath; Tommy Long, Willie Eviston, Tomas McGrath; Tom King, Ciaran McGrath, Henry Meagher; Noel McGrath (0-1), Liam Treacy (1-0); Cian Hennessy (0-2), Aidan McGrath (0-2), Derek Bourke; Evan Sweeney (1-1), David Kennedy (0-1), John McGrath (0-5, 4fs); Sub - Shane Hennessy (0-1) for W Eviston;

Moycarkey-Borris – Daniel Kirby; David Morris, Paul Dempsey, Brian Moran; Michael Cussen, Niall O Sullivan, Kevin Moran; Pat Carey, Pat Molloy; Ciaran Clohessy (0-1), Rory Ryan (0-1), Rory O Regan; Kieran Morris (0-1), Paudie Doran (1-0), Anthony Healy (0-4,2fs); Subs - Eamon Flanagan for Molloy; Ger Carey for B Moran; Robert Doran for Ryan

Referee -  Liam Shanahan, Upperchurch-Drombane