Match Reports‎ > ‎

Mid Senior Football Championship Semi-Final - Moycarkey-Borris 1-5 Loughmore-Castleiney 0-8 - Match Report

posted 3 May 2013, 13:56 by Unknown user
Mid SFC 

Stalemate as Loughmore Rally to Survive

Moycarkey Borris 1-5 Loughmore Castleiney 0-8

By Noel Dundon for the Tipperary Star newspaper 

It was stalemate in Kickham Park in the Mid senior football championship tie between Loughmore Castleiney and Moycarkey Borris on Friday evening last with the sides meeting for the second time in six days. Yes, the Moycarkey Borris lads came within a whisker of claiming a most significant scalp in their first game back in the grade in the division, but they found out why Loughmore Castleiney are held in such regard in the code, as they rallied to fire three points in the last five minutes to force, what most expected to be, extra time. Referee John Kelly (Thurles Gaels) had different ideas however and after consulting with a number of officials, the decision was taken the walk away with a share of the spoils. 

Thing is, Moycarkey Borris, although they have rumbled with the big boys on two occasions now and gave as good as they got, will probably feel that they missed the boat. You don't give Loughmore Castleiney a second chance – most clubs in the division have discovered that the hard way. Moycarkey Borris battled so hard and worked with tremendous resolve in this game. And, considering that the pitch was cutting up pretty badly and conditions were very heavy, thanks to drenching showers beforehand, that made their task even more difficult. Still, they went about their business and were the better side in the first half having played with the breeze and claimed a 1-3 to 0-3 interval lead – the goal coming from Conor Hayes in the 22nd minute after the ball broke to him in the square. 

Moycarkey's points came from Ciaran Clohessy (2) and Anthony Healy, and they could have had a second goal from Hayes in the 17th when he reacted quickly to a breaking ball, but his snap shot rattled the upright and rebounded to safety – Loughmore Castleiney were off the hook. It wasn't that the defending champions didn't have their chances mind – they kicked six wides in either half, including three in the first three minutes. But, the points did eventually come through Cian Hennessy, Noel McGrath and Shane Hennessy to keep them in touch. And, they had a goal chance beaten away by Moycarkey Borris keeper Daniel Kirby who stood up well to deflect the shot around the post. Without regulars such as Liam McGrath and John Meagher, they were not quite at strength and looked somewhat vulnerable. 

Second half though, saw the champions fight back and scores from Shane Hennessy (2) in quick succession cut the deficit, before Ciaran Clohessy and Rory Ryan chipped in with two for the newcomers. There was an edge to the game now too and referee John Kelly was dishing yellow cards like fivers at a First Communion, but thankfully nobody saw red. The last ten minutes of the game were frantic and desperate in the sense that Moycarkey Borris were hanging on by their fingernails, while Loughmore Castleiney were battling for survival. The cool heads of the champions prevailed and they were able to manufacture frees for John McGrath to convert – two in total- while corner back Joey Hennessy came upfield to kick the equaliser with one minute remaining.

This game could have gone either way and both sides had their chances to claim the win. But, a draw was certainly the fair result on the night. Loughmore Castleiney's knowhow saw them off the hook in the final analysis, while Moycarkey Borris's battling and high work ethic saw them fall just short. Best for the champions were Willie Eviston, Tom King, Noel McGrath, Derek Bourke and Shane Hennessy, while for Moycarkey Borris Ciaran Clohessy, Pat Carey, Niall O'Sullivan, Ciaran Morris and Brian Moran were prominent. 

Teams and Scorers: 

Moycarkey Borris: D Kirby, J Bourke, P Dempsey, B Moran, K Moran, N O'Sullivan, M Cussen, P Molloy, P Carey, C Hayes 1-0, R Ryan 0-1, C Clohessy 0-3, K Morris, P Kelly, A Healy 0-1. Subs: R Regan for R Ryan.

Loughmore Castleiney: D Brennan, J Hennessy 0-1, W Eviston, L Egan, T King, T McGrath, H Maher, N McGrath 0-1, L Treacy, J mcGrath 0-2, D Bourke, E Sweeney, S Hennessy 0-3, A McGrath, C Hennessy 0-1. Sub: T Long for H Maher. 

Referee: John Kelly (Thurles Gaels)