Match Reports‎ > ‎

Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship - Loughmore-Castleiney 2-18 Moycarkey-Borris 1-15

posted 2 Apr 2011, 06:50 by Unknown user
Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship

Loughmore Castleiney 2-18 Moycarkey Borris 1-15

By Cathal Ryan

The Mid Tipperary Senior Championship returned in the Ragg on Friday night where Loughmore Castleiney prevailed over Moycarkey Borris to get their season off to the perfect start with a six point victory. Conditions were dull and there was light drizzle in the air as both sides got the Divisional Championship season underway and with the clocks only after changing last weekend the half six throw in was just about early enough to beat the impending darkness.

Loughmore got a grip of the game as early as the fourth minute when Michael Webster found the net from close range. Running at the heart of the Moycarkey defence the sliotar found its way into the path of young star Liam McGrath inside the 21 yard line where the nimble corner forward shot for goal. The keeper got down low to save but the rebound fell into the path of Webster who was in close attendance to poke the ball into the net. With the match getting away from them and less than five minutes remaining on the clock Moycarkey were handed a lifeline as Kieran Morris tried something different from an angled 21 yard free as he fired it low across the face of the goal. In the scrap for possession the ball found its way to the back post where newly introduced substitution John Bergin flicked to the net leaving only two points between the sides.

However before Moycarkey got a chance to get up ahead of steam the very next attack produced the winning score. A long delivery into the full forward line broke kindly to the speedy Cian Hennessy who bore down on goal and fired to the net with a strike off his right hand side. This goal killed all chances of a Moycarkey revival and Loughmore sealed an opening round victory. Loughmore will be delighted to get the campaign up and running with a victory and will now set their sights on topping this side of the draw to secure a direct passage to the Mid Semi Final. Meanwhile Moycarkey will look at their performance and try to pinpoint areas where they can improve before the next round comes around.

Liam McGrath opened the scoring in the second minute with a free 50 yards out in front of the posts before Webster poked the men in green and red into a four point lead as Moycarkey began the game slowly. Eventually they registered a score in the eight minute through a Kieran Morris free. Loughmore respond soon after with a well worked point that saw Liam Treacy on a lung bursting run from midfield lay off to Liam McGrath who in turn found Evan Sweeney to score off his right hand side. Scores were traded tit for tat in the following ten minutes as three Kieran Morris frees and a Rory Ryan score were matched by points by Noel McGrath, Liam Treacy and two points in the space of a minute from Liam McGrath. Accurate free taking from Kieran Morris was keeping the sides close as Evan Sweeney and Brian Moran both traded fine efforts from play in the final moments of the opening period to leave the half time score 1-8 to 0-8.

After the interval the Pat Molloy closed the gap to two with a run from midfield and a 40 yard strike over the bar. But this signalled a period of dominance for Loughmore as this quarter of the match saw them open a six point lead with some terrific scores from play through Ciaran McGrath, Noel McGrath with two long range strikes, Liam Treacy and one from James Egan.

In the final quarter Moycarkey began to find more space in attack and with Brian Moran excelling scoring a point off both his right and left hand side as well Ciaran Clohessy and Pa Carey both firing over. However as much pressure as Moycarkey applied Loughmore produced a response at all times and the evidence for this was never as clearly illustrated as when Hennessey fired home the goal in the 56th minute seconds after Moycarkey had netted themselves. Evan Sweeney put the icing on the cake for the 2007 County champions a minute from time to seal a six point win in what was an exciting and entertaining opening to the 2011 Championship season.


Loughmore Castleiney: John Scully; Willie Eviston, Derek Bourke, Tommy Long (capt); Aidan McGrath, David Kennedy, John Meagher; Liam Treacy (0-3), Noel McGrath (0-4); James Egan (0-1), Ciaran McGrath (0-1), Johnny Campion; Liam McGrath (0-5, 3F), Evan Sweeney (0-4), Michael Webster (1-0).
Subs: Cian Hennessy (1-0) for J. Campion (h/t).

Moycarkey Borris: John Kelly; Lorcan Ryan, Eamon Ryan, David Morris; Phil Kelly, Kevin Moran, Willie Dempsey (capt); Pa Carey (0-1), Pat Molloy (0-1); Brian Moran (0-3), Robert Doran, Rory Ryan (0-1); Kieran Morris (0-8, 8F), Ciaran Clohessy (0-1), Anthony Healy.
Subs: David Sheppard for A. Healy (29), John Bergin (1-0) for Willie Dempsey (54).

Referee: Willie Clohessy (Drom & Inch)