Match Reports‎ > ‎

Mid Tipperary Under 21 A Hurling Championship - Moycarkey-Borris 1-23 Holycross-Ballycahill 0-9

posted 21 Mar 2011, 20:49 by Unknown user
Mid Tipperary Under 21 A Hurling Championship

Moycarkey Borris 1-23 Holycross Ballycahill 0-9

By Cathal Ryan

Moycarkey Borris bagged victory in the opening round of the Mid Tipperary Under 21 A Hurling Championship over Holycross Ballycahill on Saturday afternoon in Littleton. The home side took the initiative early in proceedings as two early points were then followed up with a goal in the sixth minute. Kieran Morris gathered a ball delivered into the inside forward line and jinked expertly around two defenders beforehand passing to the on rushing Pat Ralph. The wing forward gathered at pace and from an angle right of the goal smashed his shot low to the net to open a five point gap between the sides.

Holycross rallied in the opening half with their main threat coming in the shape of Dinny Ferncombe who notched up five points in the opening period (two frees) to try keep the visitors in touch but even against the breeze Moycarkey were still finding their scores with greater ease the most notable being a fantastic Kieran Morris effort off his right hand side from an acute angle when close to the touchline. In the second period wind assisted Moycarkey began the half in devastating fashion scoring seven points in the opening six minutes of play which led the team to a comfortable victory.

Moycarkey will be delighted with this performance as the movement in attack was clinical and in defence any score conceded was got under heavy pressure. Holycross for their part never got up ahead of steam but even as the game fell from their grasp they kept competing strongly right to the final whistle. Kieran Morris opened the scoring from a placed ball in the fourth minute of the match and this was followed in the next minute with an effort from centre forward Jamie Barry just seconds before Ralph’s goal arrived. Holycross responded to this with two points from Dinny Ferncombe the first of which was a free and the second a fine effort as the crafty wing forward tucked onto his left hand side before dispatching over the bar.

Mossy Bracken, John Bergin and a Pat Ralph free all raised the white flag for Moycarkey prior to the midway point of the half. Holycross enjoyed their best period from here until half time matching their opponents score for score until the break leaving the half time score 1-8 to 0-6. The opening moments of the second half quickly dispelled any hopes the men in green had of mounting a comeback. Although a strike off the left from Aidan Stakelum was registered in the opening minute for Holycross from this moment on the men in red and yellow moved up a couple of gears. A flurry of scores from Kieran Morris with four (two frees), John Bergin, Pat Ralph, Michael Roche and Rory Ryan opened up an insurmountable lead just ten minutes into the second half. Both sides then made a number of changes however the momentum was with the home side and the notched up further scores through Pat Ralph, Rory Ryan (2), Donie Bergin and Jamie Barry to seal a comfortable opening round victory.


Moycarkey Borris: Michael Bryan; Niall O Sullivan, James Power, Michael Cussen; James Bourke, Pat Molloy, Joe O Sullivan; Rory Ryan (0-3), Mossy Bracken (0-2); Pat Ralph (1-3, 1F), Jamie Barry (0-2), Peter Kinane; Michael Roche (0-1), Kieran Morris (0-9, 5F), John Bergin (0-2). Subs: Donie Bergin (0-1) for P. Kinane (40), Stephen Kirwan for J. Power (47), Gary O Connell for N. O Sullivan (47), David Maher for K. Morris (54), John Shortall for J. Bergin (54).

Holycross Ballycahill: Peadar Wade; Seamus Harty, Eoin Maloney, Patrick O Dwyer; Tomas Comerford, Cathal Carroll, John Dunne; Tom Quinlan, Tony Leahy; Dinny Ferncombe (0-6, 3F), Michael Doyle (0-1), Sean Nally; JP Butler, Aidan Stakelum (0-1), Paul Morris. Subs: Shane Moloney for P. Morris (h/t), Shane Carroll (0-1) for S. Nally (47), David Lowry for JP Butler (49), Dan Murphy for P. O Dwyer (49).

Referee: Johnny Ryan