Match Reports‎ > ‎

Templemore Jewellers U16A Mid Football Final

posted 26 May 2014, 09:45 by Mairead Clohessy

Moycarkey-Borris 3-08 Durlas Óg 1-06

Following on from Monday night’s epic encounter Moycarkey-Borris and Durlas Óg took to field in The Ragg to finally decide the outcome of this year’s championship. Despite unsatisfactory weather conditions all morning underfoot conditions held up considerably well and helped in ensuring a lively contest as the ball moved quickly on the silky surface. Remarkably three forty fives, one for Durlas Óg and two for Moycarkey were the results of the opening plays in the final. Jack Hackett bucked that trend when he got the opening score following solid work on the left. His colleague Philip Ryan was up to his usual high standard in defence with a customary tigerish display while on the opposite side Matthew Kelly was prominent at centre back for Durlas. His side were back on parity when Aaron Cullen pointed from a twenty metre free in the seventh minute. Tit for tat Moycarkey were shading it with Michael Foley, missing from the drawn game, exerting his influence in midfield though Conor Stakelum was trying hard for Durlas Óg. Then Anthony McKelvey got his first point when set up by Hugh Scanlon on ten minutes. The next Durlas move saw Anthony Cooney bear down on goal and though a goal looked on he opted to shoot over to tie up the scores. Moycarkey increased the pace and put strong pressure on the Durlas backs but still hit three wides as the score remained stable. That stability was shattered in the twenty first minute when McKelvey connected to a lightening ball in from the right as he shook the net for the games first goal. Buoyed on by that score Moycarkey continued to pressurise, Hackett pointing his second after a great solo effort. McKelvey also had his second point a minute later as Moycarkey edged five clear with five to play in the half. Durlas Óg regained composure and with Stakelum trying beaverishly they got a score their efforts deserved when Cullen pointed his second placed ball to leave it 1-04 to 03 at the break. Three minutes into the new half Durlas Óg were rocked for a second time when Greg Foley set up David Shaw who after working effectively in possession hit the net much to the delight of the large Moycarkey following. Foley then connected with Conor Maher but Michael Murphy was equal to the challenge in the Durlas goal as he collected the ball and cleared. McKelvey pointed another free as Moycarkey’s dominance began to tell. But in the face of such adversity Durlas Óg found their form. Kelly took flight down the left wing combined with Mark Purcell who fed Cooney with a quick ball. As he cut in from the left his shot at goal was deflected over by Jack Bryan in the ‘Borris goal. Cullen, however, followed up with another pointed free as he reduced the deficit midway through the half. Bill Darcy was next to lay siege on the ‘Borris backline but his high ball in was dealt with swiftly as the Moycarkey defence soaked up all the pressure as the Durlas lads adapted a policy of trying to engineer goals when the better option was to take points. Philip Ryan and Eoghan Hayes leading the defence and who were now at the top of their game, carrying and clearing to enormous effect. Bill Byrne was doing his utmost for Durlas Óg where the introduction of Michael Stakelum had an immediate effect of igniting the Durlas spark. His quick distribution and vision got his forwards moving with purpose. But try as they may stubborn resistance from the Moycarkey defence where Jack Bryan in goal was in excellent form ensured no inroads on the scoreboard. That was until Conor Stakelum broke the deadlock with a goal two minutes from time, his side now only two behind. With a grandstand finish on the cards the next score would prove crucial in the destination of the trophy. Again the crowd got behind their teams urging them on for one last hurrah. McKelvey made it a one score game with another free heading into the final minute. It was possession stakes now as the next score would prove crucial. That possession fell to Moycarkey and eventually to that man again McKelvey who netted his second as the game went into injury time. Fittingly then for Moycarkey two heroes among them on the day, Foley and Hackett rounded off the scoring as Moycarkey ran out deserving winners after another memorable days play. In his post match presentation address Mid Coiste na nÓg Chairman, Joe O’Sullivan, asked for and received a huge round of applause for two well matched and competitive sides who brought the curtain down in thrilling fashion to the football championships for this year with their displays in both the drawn match and replay. With Secretary Sally Young representing Templemore Jewellers sponsors, Moycarkey-Borris captain Jack O’Meara received the cup from the Chairman to rapturous cheering and applause. Moycarkey-Borris; Jack Bryan, Donal Fitzpatrick, Eoin Ryan, Caolan O'Brien, Philip Ryan, Eoghan Hayes , Jack O'Meara (C), Conor Moore, Michael Foley 01, Jack Hackett 03, David Shaw 1-00, Hugh Scanlon, Anthony McKelvey 2-04 (02f), Conor Maher, Greg Foley, Subs used; John Cussen, Keith Melbourne, Darren Ryan, also; Kevin O'Regan, Mark Heffernan, Shane Maher, David O'Donnell, Seán O'Meara, Philip O'Sullivan. Durlas Óg; Michael Murphy, Keith O’Dwyer, Michael Purcell, Bill Byrne, Loran O’Toole, Matthew Kelly (C), Adam Hickey, William Creedon, Anthony Cooney 02, Conor Stakelum 1-00, Mark Purcell, Conor Murphy, Christopher Carew, Bill Darcy 01f, Aaron Cullen 03f, Subs used; Patrick Moloney, Michael Stakelum, Seosamh Ryan, Evan McCormack, also, Kevin Donnelly, Jason Jordan, Ryan McDonnell.

Referee; Tom McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney)